STS students share a set of core classes, then pursue their specializations
before coming together to share their knowledge in collaborative capstone projects.
Focusing on topics such as education, work, knowledge production, design and public policy from interdisciplinary perspectives, students who complete the STS minor will be prepared to engage with and respond to the profound challenges and choices we face related to science and technology in the 21st century, including efforts to create more socially responsible and sustainable scientific and technical knowledge production and decision-making practices.
The STS minor will prepare students to work, collaborate and interact responsibly and effectively in an increasingly diverse and globalized workplace and world.
Students are able to tailor their minor program through the selection of electives to focus on specific issues of interest. Look below for more information about the STS minor:
Step 1. Choose your STS Minor - fill out an application form:
- Ethics, Public Policy, Science and Technology (EPPST) (PDF)
- Gender, Race, Culture, Science and Technology (GCRST) (PDF)
- Media Arts, Society and Technology (MAST) (PDF)
- Science and Risk Communication (SRC) (PDF)
Step 2. Choose your STS classes and Learn by Doing experiences:
- What do you want to do now and after graduation?
- What do you need to learn, experience and create at Cal Poly so you are prepared to do what you want to do?
- What are the STS classes and learning experiences that match your passions and goals?
Step 3. Learn. Do. Change the world.