Ethics, Public Policy, Science and Technology (EPPST) Minor
- Submit an application via PowerForm here.
- Once your application has been processed by the ISLA Department, you will be added to the STS minor email distribution list and will begin receiving STS minor news. Please allow for up to three business days for this process.
- It may take up to one month for the minor to display in your DPR. Please reach out to the department here if it has been over six weeks and has not appeared on your profile.
What will you explore?
- What are the ethical, legal and social implications of emerging sciences and technologies?
- How should we develop and support emerging sciences and technologies?
- How should we develop and make decisions about public policy?
What will you create?
- Create and promote better policies that respond to the profound challenges and choices we face related to science and technology in the 21st century at local, national and international levels
More about this minor:
The Ethics, Public Policy, Science and Technology (EPPST) minor enables students to understand the complexities of contemporary science and technology policies as they relate to the broader public, ethical theories and applications and personal and societal values; appreciate the historical influences on existing policies and practices; evaluate current policies; and assess the potential outcomes of proposed policy changes.
A broad range of elective courses provides students with the opportunity to customize the EPPST minor to their particular interests, allowing them to pursue further knowledge in a focused subject area — such as biotechnology, sustainability and the environment, genetic engineering, health, development, agriculture and the technologies of war.
Students completing the EPPST minor will gain important skills for creating, proposing, promoting and evaluating policies that respond to the profound challenges and choices we face related to science and technology in the 21st century at local, national and international levels.
Learn more about the EPPST course requirements on the Cal Poly Catalog.